the videogame forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE best console ever

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

THE best console ever - Page 2 Empty Re: THE best console ever

Post  IceLemur Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:15 pm

Red_Mage_Punos wrote:So in my opinion SNES is the best console. Since it is an opinion, you cannot argue that the statement is wrong. I believe 16-bit is the peak of graphics. as proof of the "golden age" of gaming...here is a chartProof

The majority of gamers who are actively involved in gaming (as seen by their involvment on a major gaming website) were originally hooked by the SNES generation.
I'm glad you've finally gotten the point of an argument.
However, the definition of graphics is essentially how real the games look, did you mean gaming when you said graphics?
I can say that I did not participate in that, or any other poll of the sort, but it is probably a good indicator. So, most people involved in gaming did in fact come into the culture with the SNES, with the NES coming in a close second and the 64 coming an even closer third. Personally, I enjoy the 3-D aspect of gaming, but that has had its repercussions.
I would like to turn our attention to a different topic of discussion: Are games becoming easier? Why? Most people will agree with me here: they are. The influx of sudo-gamers on the market has resulted in a drop of the difficulty of games, this is very alarming to me because I am a lover of a good challenge.
I think the peak of boss battles was with Shadow of the Colossus, but that was all they had to focus on, so they had an upper hand. But what I have begun to notice in TLOZ Twilight Princess is that the mini Bosses are becoming harder and more challenging than the actual bosses, who are becoming less and less difficult.
IceLemur
IceLemur
master
master

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:47 pm

yes but we can thrust our opinion and complain we don't like yours Razz
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://andrewsgameforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Red_Mage_Punos Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:11 pm

So in my opinion SNES is the best console. Since it is an opinion, you cannot argue that the statement is wrong. I believe 16-bit is the peak of graphics. as proof of the "golden age" of gaming...here is a chartProof

The majority of gamers who are actively involved in gaming (as seen by their envolvment on a major gaming website) were originally hooked by the SNES generation.
Red_Mage_Punos
Red_Mage_Punos
very involved gamer
very involved gamer

Back to top Go down

Post  IceLemur Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:33 pm

Tim, the idea of an argument is present your opinion on a subject and defend it with facts. We will all have our favorite system, but there may be one that is the best for certain reasons.
For example Alex can identify "good" and "bad" music, but I like Sound of Madness by Shinedown, does that make it good? According to Alex (who knows more about this than anyone here) it is bad, but I like the song no matter what he says.
The point here is to present an opinion and to defend it, and with any luck, everyone will walk away from the argument knowing a little more than when they began.
Furthermore, you always say that when you begin to lose an argument, and it is getting really, really, really, old. You are the one who always wants to play, but never wants to lose (Aerials by System of a down)
IceLemur
IceLemur
master
master

Back to top Go down

Post  Red_Mage_Punos Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:02 pm

RELATIVITY...This is a pointless arguement since you can never scientifically prove one system better than another... you can however prove one more popular
Red_Mage_Punos
Red_Mage_Punos
very involved gamer
very involved gamer

Back to top Go down

Post  IceLemur Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:58 pm

What part of art direction is so hard to understand? I am not saying that all games should look real, I honestly think no one is actually reading my posts here, and if they are, some people don't understand what I am saying.
"Art direction" and "graphics" are not the same thing. Graphics are a part of art direction, but do not encompass the entire thing, in fact bad graphics are a form of art direction that could be good.
A cartoony looking world will immediately get you ready to laugh (Luigi's Manson), while more realistic graphics set up a more serious tone (Shadow of the Collosus).
Mega man is, and has always been, a side stroller, as such I do not expect to see graphics that make me feel like I can reach out and touch the object on the screen. That does not fit the style of the game, and if it did have realistic graphics it would take away from the game and give it bad art direction.
Is this clear now? I am not a graphics junky, there was a time where I couldn't care less about graphics, and I still don't, I care about art direction, and graphics are a part of that.
IceLemur
IceLemur
master
master

Back to top Go down

Post  ASDF9876 Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:47 pm

I agree people need to see more than the famous titles just put in front of them ...what about summon knight anyone heard of that great game??

ASDF9876
wannabe
wannabe

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:23 pm

the wii actually has a lot of hard core fps and other games that people are to lazy to look for since they look for commercial value Mad things such as No More Hereos and the incredibly overlooked Zack and WIki (that game was AWESOME despite the childlike graphics *cough cough* terrence) and graphics don't need to set a "mood" or the game some people are actually wanting some games to have horrible grphics take the totally recently released Mega Man 9
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Red_Mage_Punos Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:30 pm

Still, it's all relative. You may like the games on 360 because it's more FPS, but my grandmother would like wii because it has many easier to understand games that are made for families. This is because neither is better, they are relatively better or worse to each person at any given time... Opinion=Personality+Time+Nostalgia! or O=P+T+N! (this equation is completely made up and makes zero scientific sense)
Red_Mage_Punos
Red_Mage_Punos
very involved gamer
very involved gamer

Back to top Go down

Post  IceLemur Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:11 pm

I never said they need to have good graphics to be good, I am just saying that good art direction makes a game better, it does not make or break a game. Furthermore, graphics and art direction are different things, art direction is creating things in a certain style, while graphics try to be like reality. Art direction is tailored to fit the game, while graphics just try to make it look real. As far as the horror film thing goes, they do not show you anything, therefore and "good" or "bad" art direction becomes irrelivant beacuse you never see it. Simply put, a game can be enhanced by an art direction that fits the mood and style of the game.
IceLemur
IceLemur
master
master

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:31 pm

i agree sorta with tim.......games do not need graphics to be good ...look at the wii.aii sports Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Red_Mage_Punos Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:09 pm

Define "Good"...I employ the theorom of ultimate relativity, that it's all relative. Nothing is better than anything else, it's perception, not reality.
Red_Mage_Punos
Red_Mage_Punos
very involved gamer
very involved gamer

Back to top Go down

Post  IceLemur Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:02 pm

But the graphics are what they show you, you can use your imagination to picture the things you don't see, but the things you see should at least be good.
IceLemur
IceLemur
master
master

Back to top Go down

Post  Red_Mage_Punos Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:58 pm

I disagree with the graphical issue. It's like Mr. D said about horror films. Your imagination is better than anything they could show you. The loose storylinee, just passing graphics, and awesome abilities added for hours of fun after the system was off.
Red_Mage_Punos
Red_Mage_Punos
very involved gamer
very involved gamer

Back to top Go down

Post  IceLemur Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:51 pm

Red_Mage_Punos wrote:SNES was the peak of gaming... with the NES they were still learning the ropes and not all the games lived to their full potential, but after the SNES, graphics and money got in the way of pure gaming. So SNES/SuperFamicon was the best EVER!!!

I have played the SNES, and yes it was good, but you will have a hard time convincing me it was the best ever. You say that money and graphics got in the way of pure gaming. Art direction adds to the gaming experience, but does not make it. Nintendo has never bee known for their graphics, but they are very good with what they have.

Second, there are a lot of games made for money, but you have to look for good ones that are made for actual gamers and if you are too lazy to do that, then you probably don't deserve to play them. Besides, game developers have to eat too, and I blame gamers that will buy the sequels and remakes (this means you Tim) that they know will be OK instead of the unknown game that may be great, or could be horrible. Game developing is a business and they want to make money, and they make money by making games that people will buy. The sad thing is that the recent interest in gaming by non-gamers has made a market that is interested in titles they recognize. I have yet to play a game based entirely off a movie that I liked, but "Enter the Matrix" sells thousands, while "Okami" sells hundreds. With any luck, gaming will soon return to its roots in the true gamers, leaving the great unwashed behind.

I would have to go with the N64 as the beginning of the current video game boom because it helped introduce a third dimension (literally) into games. Around the same time, the PS came out, the first in the line of Sony's super-charged systems. Microsoft essentially made a highly specialized PC for the Xbox to get a piece of the action. I will not call this the golden age of gaming, not yet. Believe it or not, true gamers are still an underground culture.

Games will continue to evolve, and if you don't like that, than I don't know what to tell you. We are not going back.

I will continue to avoid the nostalgia trap.
IceLemur
IceLemur
master
master

Back to top Go down

Post  Red_Mage_Punos Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:28 pm

SNES was the peak of gaming... with the NES they were still learning the ropes and not all the games lived to their full potential, but after the SNES, graphics and money got in the way of pure gaming. So SNES/SuperFamicon was the best EVER!!!
THE best console ever - Page 2 Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_System
Red_Mage_Punos
Red_Mage_Punos
very involved gamer
very involved gamer

Back to top Go down

Post  Vamp1Lee Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:30 pm

I'm with you NES RULES!!!!!
Vamp1Lee
Vamp1Lee
divine gamer
divine gamer

Back to top Go down

THE best console ever - Page 2 Empty THE best console ever

Post  Admin Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:59 pm

ok so it has been debated what the best new console is but what about the best console EVER
it could be anything ranging from the NES to the wii and the console could be made by any publisher and give a very good reason on your opinion

i say the NES because it began gamings golden age and it basicly started everything Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2